Pages

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Wet Pants, Tea, Poutines a trou

Wet Pants

The weather is turning nice here and C Monster is loving it. Today when we arrived home from a morning at our friend Ella's house C Monster wanted to stay outside and enjoy the warm weather. While he played with the snow, jumped in puddles and discovered that snow disappears when you place it in water; I had a chance to clean up a bit and take down the Christmas lights (yes we are guilty of having lights still up 2 months after the holiday). While I had my back turned to him C Monster decided to discover what happens if you sit on the snow he placed in the puddle....

Tea

Flavor of the night - Quangzou Milk Oolong from The Tea Emporium. This tea is very unique and the leaves almost smell like milk.

Poutines a trou

After supper tonight me sweet tooth wanted something - originally I was going to make an apple crisp I don't know why I changed my mind an made Poutines a trou. Poutines a trou is a traditional Acadien desert. It turned out pretty much like what I remember Poutines a trou to taste like. Basically it's apples, raisins and cranberries wrapped up in a pastry dough; you serve the final pastries with sugar syrup. The recipe I followed is from "La Cusine Traditionnelle en Acadie" - as always I changed a few things:

Dough
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons panela
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup whole milk

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter. Add milk slowly. Divide dough in 12 balls and set aside.

Filling
4 Apples peeled and diced
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup fresh cranberries (or 1/4 cup dried)

Combine ingredients, set aside. Role out dough balls until they are approximately 5" in diameter; place scoop of filling in the middle. Close dough by pinching together (use milk to help the dough stick), place in baking dish closed side down. Make a 1/2" hole in the top of each ball. Bake in 375F oven for45 to 50 minutes.

Syrup
1/2 cup panela
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup water

While poutines are cooking make sauce. Combine all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Serve poutines hot or cold with 2 tablespoons of syrup poured in the hole.

1 comment:

Geoffrey Wiseman said...

I was the one who suggested Poutines. I wanted Poutine Rapées, but I couldn't remember which one was which, and then you decided to go ahead with it.