Pages

Monday, August 4, 2008

Water what should I drink?

With all the new studies about BPA and it's effect on children we decided to stop purchasing water jugs for our water cooler and start drinking tap water. We do filter the tap water with a Brita filter; however I now question my decision. Witch is safer BPA water or fluoride water.

According to an article on CBC:

"he panel does acknowledge that excess fluoride intake, which constitutes 10 mg/day after 10 or more years of exposure, can lead to skeletal fluorosis, which is caused by too much accumulation of fluoride in the bones and leads to brittle and deformed bones.

However, "the current maximum acceptable concentration of 1.5 mg/L of fluoride in drinking water is unlikely to cause adverse health effects," reads the report.

The report does caution however, that infants are particularly vulnerable if they ingest powdered infant formula reconstituted with fluoridated water. "The risk of excessive intake of fluoride is higher for infants consuming larger quantities of infant formulas," reads the report."

To read the full article go to the CBC site.

I still think tap water is better then bottle water how about you?

3 comments:

Rosie : ) said...

A bit of background before I comment completely...

I grew up on Well water from a small country community, and I have loved the fresh taste of water ever since.

Tap water tastes horrible, and I have never liked the taste of the Brita filters, so we decided to purchase a carbon filter, heavy-duty, and put an extra tap next to our kitchen tap.

We use this tap for our drinking and cooking water. Carbon filters filter everything "bad" but not minerals and "good" things in water.

We have not regretted getting this filter, and from what we have read, it is still the best water to drink, barring a fresh mountain spring. ;)

Candice said...

Thankfully, Vancouver's water does not contain flouride, so I don't have to worry about that.

We currently use a Brita as well, but I am also questioning that decision. Do Britas contain BPA? I also heard that charcoal filters aren't good for babies.

*sigh*

Constant vigilance.

Pierrette said...

I called Brita and they claim all of their products are BPA free. As for charcoal I am not certain, will have to do research.