Pages

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays - Irish Stew

This is a great stew that is perfect for the fall or winter months. I can even get Christophe to eat this one.

Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 Min
Cooking Time: 30 Min

Ingredients:
● 6 small carrots, chopped
● 4 medium potatoes , cubed
● 1 parsnip, peeled and cubed
● 1/2 turnip, peeled and cubed
● 1 onion , chopped
● 1/2 tsp black pepper
● 2 liters water, or as needed
● 3 cubes vegetarian beef bouillon
● 1 1/2 cups green split peas
● 1 cup pearl barley or jobs tears, (can be substituted for small noodles)

Directions:

Place all vegetables into a large saucepan and saute until golden. Add remainder of ingredients bring to a boil and cook until all ingredients are tender. Approximately 30 minutes.

Serve and enjoy.

Tasty Tuesday Button

9 comments:

Brooke said...

sounds great - now to figure out what part of the store i'd find parsnips in!

Pierrette said...

@ Brooke

They are usually pretty close to the carrots :-)

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

The stew sounds great. I've never had this combination of ingredients before.

Unknown said...

Hey Pierrette, I have heard of vegetarian stock, but never of vegetarian beef bouillon cubes? Can you find those in you garden variety grocery store or do you go to a special store for that?

Pierrette said...

@Zet-Girouard

We get them at the bulk supply and restaurant supply store. I think I have seen them at places like the big carrot in Toronto. So I would check the biggest health food store you guys have your end of Canada.

Anonymous said...

This stew looks warm and yummy! I like anything with split peas in it. (Is that strange?) Thanks for bringing you recipe to share with us!
-Kim

Danielle said...

taht does sound yummy. I have never had a turnip. My dad hated them from when he lived in an orphanage...so my mom never made them. i'm going to put this is my to make stack!

Shanilie said...

Sounds delicious. I LOVE irish stew...sadly it is usually out of a can lol

Lisa Samples said...

Stop by, I have something for you.

Lisa