This week I am sharing a healthier version of Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies: these are made with spelt flakes. If you have a hard time finding spelt flakes you can substitute them for quick oats. I have a hard time keeping little hands out of the cookie jar when I make these (well, big hands, as they are my huband's and my own)
● 1 cup butter, softened
● 1 cup panela, packed
● 1/2 cup white sugar
● 2 egg
● 2 tsp vanilla
● 1 cup all-purpose flour
● 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
● 1/2 tsp baking soda
● 1 tsp salt
● 3 cups spelt flakes
● 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine the flours, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until just blended. Mix in the spelt flakes and chocolate chips. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.