Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Book Shopping

Yesterday I ventured out with a friends to some of the more unique book stores in Toronto in search of some books for C Monster.  I have been trying to find books for him that talk about life subjects such as how people are different, emotions, weaning, nursing, becoming a big brother (no I am not pregnant) and so on.

However I find that finding these books at Chapters and such are a little harder and often I do not like the choices I have.

So our first stop was Glad Day Book Shop. Here I picked up 3 great books for C Monster.

Yuck! That's is not a Monster! - a cute little story about 3 monsters born at the same time but one of them is cute and cuddly instead of scary like a monster "should be".

A Tale of Two Daddies - This is the story of 2 friends one has 2 dads; the other is all excited and amazed to find out things about the 2 dads like who braids her hair or who gives her a bath.

My Princess Boy - The title says it all; this is the story of a little boy who likes to dress up as a princess.
Stop number 2 was at Toronto Women's Bookstore. Here I found a great book on pregnancy. That I bought for C Monster as a tool to understand what his mama will be going threw once we get pregnant. It's called What's Inside Your Tummy Mommy? This book breaks down your pregnancy by month and explains to your child just what baby looks like in your tummy.  I would highly recommend this to anyone who is pregnant with a young child at home.

After our stop there we continued just down the road to Parentbooks. OK to a little about the store first if you are a parent and your child has any special needs from hearing to diet to Autism to anything under the sun that you can come up with you need to check out this store. Every single book in the store is about parenting. Here I picked up 3 more books for C Monster.

We're Having a Homebirth!! - A great simple picture book you can use with a child probably even as young as 18 months to help explain a homebirth to them.

Maggie's Weaning - A simple story explain to a child as he grows up he will need less and less breastmilk until one day when he will no longer need any.

Michele: the Nursing Toddler - A book normalizing toddler nursing and also explaining that all toddlers one day stop nursing.

And that ends my shopping trip yesterday...

1 comment:

Holly said...

Have you seen the book 'Hello Baby' by Jenni Overend? It's about a home birth...I loved reading that to my daughter (who was between 16 & 22 months) before the birth of my third. The illustrations are so beautiful.

Have you ever checked Ella Minnow at Queen and Woodbine, the owner is great about getting books you're interested in.

Thanks for sharing!
(I'm guessing you're hoping to get pregnant soon! :) )